Sunday, May 31, 2020

Reflection

In these days, with so many things occurring at the same time, I decided I need to take a break. I needed to breathe, try to relax and reconnect with myself. This post will be about a personal reflection I had, one that shook me to the core. 

A couple of weeks ago, I was talking with this friend of mine on the phone. We were discussing some personal subjects, and then he asked me, "Who are you?". I found myself unable to answer him, because I didn't know the answer.

Reflection | MULAN | Disney | Speedpaint [ÖS] - YouTube
Who are you? 

All my life, I've had a struggle with my identity. I was forced since I was a little boy to go to church and believe in something I could not. I was molded into this perfect little boy with perfect grades and perfect manners. I had my insecurities thrown on my face by my so-called family, until I didn't know what was real about me and what wasn't. I discovered my sexuality in a hostile and homophobic environment, one that made me feel guilty and dirty for the way I was born. It was sickening. I wasn't that perfect boy, I've never been him. But then again, if I wasn't what they created, what was left of me? 

Discovering who I am has been a long and painful process. It has taken a toll on me because some people have tried to destroy the person I was blooming into. I believe the hardest experience I went through in this path of self-discovery, was when I met the one who has plagued my dreams and turned them into nightmares. I was in an abusive relationship for a couple of months; they felt like years. I will not go into detail about what happened, since it's too personal. But I can say that he took pieces of me, little by little, until there was barely some of me left. He destroyed the self-esteem I had, which had taken years to develop and strengthen. I can still feel what he did to me; every bruise, every word full of hate. I looked at myself in the mirror, and I couldn't recognize the person I was seeing. I was an empty shell of the boy I used to be. 

After this experience, I really didn't know what was inside of me. I was empty of emotion, of longing, of passion. My essence laid scattered on the floor in a million pieces of glass. I tried to connect those pieces, but I only hurt myself more. So, life went on with me just going along with the ride, not paying attention to life itself. I was breathing, but I was dead. 

I Miss Myself (Naj au x sucidal reader) - Little Doll - Wattpad

Going through this process, my family moved out and I started to live by myself. Loneliness, silence, wrath and resentment took a hold of me. All the responsibility fell on my shoulders, all of a sudden. It was emotionally crushing, to the point when just living was the most painful sensation of all. My family barely talked to me; I was feeling ignored and rejected. My world was crumbling into pieces. It felt as I were at the edge of a cliff  about to fall, and screaming for help to all the people around me, but no one listened. I was breathing, but I was dead. 

I dedicated myself to my job only. I didn't have any time for anyone, least of all myself. I was focused mostly on surviving day after day. It was a living nightmare; I lost touch with reality, and I lost my essence even more. But my students helped me through this process; they are truly wonderful kids. If one of them ever read this, please know that I love you so much. 

Slowly, very slowly, in this process of surviving I realized I wasn't living. Not really. I was there, but my soul was absent. This lead to take a hard decision, but one that saved my life: either continue on this path, or start healing. I took the second option- for my students, for my friends, but mostly for me. I reconnected with my essence through  books, which reminded me to be brave and have hope against all obstacles. I started this blog thanks to one of my best friends/sister who has believed in me more than I have believed in myself at times. I learned to forgive little by little all the things that had happened. But most of all, I learned to forgive myself for all the times I let people hurt me in the past. I was breathing, and finally waking up. 
New Facts You Don't Know about the Legend of the Phoenix (With ...
I will live again.

Going back to the initial question of who I am, I remember reading a book during these days called "Reflection" by Elizabeth Lim. This book is part of the Disney Twisted Tales, and it tells the story of Fa Mulan and how she went to the Underworld to retrieve the soul of Captain Li Shang. 

Amazon.com: Reflection: A Twisted Tale (Twisted Tale, A) eBook ...
Beautiful, amazing book. 

In this journey, she had to face many dangers, but the biggest of them all was herself. She had to face who she was and come to terms with her true self. Reading about Mulan and her journey of self-discovery made me realize some things about myself. I was one step closer to finding out who I am. I was breathing, and coming back to life. 

Mulan often found herself divided between two girls: the one her parents raised her to be, a perfect bride and lady; or the soldier she had become. But in the end, she discovered she was neither. She was a combination of both. She was a lady who embraced her femininity, and a strong warrior capable of conquering any battle. Mulan taught me that my essence is not what people see in me or what they want me to be. My essence is the one I choose, the one I must embrace, the one I must be thankful for. I am one step closer to seeing who I am. 
jisoo kim - Print - Ballad of Mulan (print) - Nucleus | Art ...
Credits to the artist. 

Practicing being thankful every day, I have become closer to myself. I still don't know 100% who I am. But I am on the right path of meeting myself, and becoming Ema- the one I choose to be. But here are some things I can already determine: 

1- I am not what happened to me. I am what I choose to become. 
2- I am light. I am one with the universe. 
3- I must forgive myself for the things I still hold myself guilty for. 
4- I find myself in the silence, in books and in literary friends. 
5- My path is not determined; I create it. 
6- I take risks and I embrace them. 
7- I have a tattoo of the Mockingjay to remind me to have hope. 
8- I painted my hair blue. I look in the mirror and I see myself truer to my essence.  
9- I am a good teacher, even if some days I don't feel as such. 
10- I am breathing, and I am more alive than ever. 
11- I am more loved than I realize. 
12- I am enough. 
13- I am gay, an atheist, a feminist, and a free thinker. 
14- I am mine before I'm anyone else's. 

Still I Rise Poem by Maya Angelou - Poem Hunter (With images ...

Today I love myself a little bit more, even if it's hard. It still hurts to breathe, but now I can manage the pain and look past it. I am thankful for what I have and for what I don't. I forgive myself slowly, and others too. I embrace my body and all its perfect imperfections. I celebrate my decisions over my body. My pieces are still scattered, but I'm learning to reconnect them again. 

I found god in myself. 
And I loved her FIERCELY! 


PS. I'm planning on painting my hair every summer or so. Probably I'll do it pink next time. See you next Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Libros que leí en el 2022

Tristemente, no pude leer tanto este año como en los anteriores. Fue un año sumamente ocupado y retante, entre nuevas experiencias, desafíos...