Sunday, June 28, 2020

Pride Flag Book Tag

Pin on Lesbian things
Love wins people! 

Greetings everyone! As many of you might know, this weekend we're celebrating LGBT+ pride. Therefore, in my community's honor and relating it to my love for books, I decided to write a book tag inspired by the colors of our flag. This tag was originally created by Common Spence on YouTube, so go ahead and check it out! The link to the video is in the YouTuber’s name.  

For this tag I will be answering six book-related questions, all inspired by the colors of the LGBT+ flag. Beside the color, I will be mentioning what each of them means. Without further due, let's get started! 

1- Red (Life): A book with a spirited protagonist totally proud of  who they are; someone who gives you life! 

Throne of Glass eBook by Sarah J. Maas | Rakuten Kobo
I've said it many times: 
Sarah J. Maas is a goddess. 

Aelin Galathynius might be the closest character to my heart of all I've ever read. Aelin went through horrible things and trauma throughout her life, from being tortured to almost being murdered. But she refused to be broken; her will to live was way too strong for that. No matter what happened, she always got back up and conquered not only her enemies, but her fears as well. "You could rattle the stars, you could do anything, if only you dare." Aelin got me through the worst days of depression, for which I will be eternally grateful. 

2- Orange (Healing): A book that made you find a deeper meaning or catharsis in your own life. 

For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is ...
"I found god in myself
and I loved her fiercely."

This choreopoem by Ntozake Shange has shaken me to the core. I haven't read it completely yet, but I have read most of the poems here, and let me tell you... they're something else. They have made me reflect upon my life, my sexuality, my identity, and the great importance of self-love. I can't wait to read it all. "My spirit is too ancient to understand the separation of soul & gender/ my love is too delicate to have thrown back on my face..."

3- Yellow (Sunlight): A book that fills you with so much joy it could brighten even your darkest day. 

The School for Good and Evil (The School for Good and Evil Book 1 ...
Not only the first book, 
but the whole series!

This whole series by Soman Chainani just brings me so much joy while reading it. To summarize it, it's about two best friends called Sophie and Agatha who are taken to the School for Good and Evil. Sophie thought that being blond, beautiful and gracious she would be trained to be a princess in Good; Agatha, always gloomy and dressing in black, believed she would be educated to be a witch in Evil. But they were each taken to the opposite school: Sophie to the School for Evil, and Agatha to the School for Good. From there the story just picks up in a most magical and imaginative way. Each chapter is filled with adventure and wonder, always leaving me craving more. 

4- Green (Nature): A book that is set out of this world- a reality different to our own. 

Amazon.com: Dorothy Must Die (9780062280671): Paige, Danielle: Books
This beauty is just
AMAZING!

For this question I could have picked literally any book from my bookshelf hahaha. But I chose "Dorothy Must Die" by Danielle Paige, a book and a series that got me through my last years of college and my first year as a teacher. In this reality, Dorothy has returned to Oz and become its queen. Aided by her past friends and Glinda, she has been destroying the land by taking all of its magic and torturing its inhabitants. One day, a new girl from Kansas arrives in a tornado. Her name is Amy Gumm, and she is recruited by the Revolutionary Order of the Wicked. Her mission? Remove the Scarecrow's brain, steal the Tin Man's heart, take the Lion's courage, and kill Dorothy. 

5- Blue (Peace): A book where one of the characters find peace with a difficult truth. 

Amazon.fr - A Storm of Swords: Book Three of a Song of Fire and ...
Sansa Stark is the best. 
Change my mind, I dare you.
 

In the third installment of the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series by George R. R. Martin, a thousand things happen and many characters must come to terms with the events. But I chose to focus on my favorite: Sansa Stark. Most of her family is murdered, she is married into the family who destroyed her own, she's used by her "friends", she's blamed for a murder, she's kidnapped, and is almost murdered by her aunt. In short, Sansa has to deal with a lot of crap; girl can't take a break! But she slowly accepts her reality and tries to make the best of it. Sansa evolves continuously, learns from her mistakes, and grows stronger. This quote from her is very close to me, "My skin has turned to porcelain, to ivory, to steel."

6- Purple (Spirit): A book that deals with LGBT+ themes and religion. 

Amazon.com: Carry On (Simon Snow Series Book 1) eBook: Rowell ...
*Cries in gay.*

Simon and Baz are EVERYTHING. "Carry On" by Rainbow Rowell is one of the most beautiful LGBT+ books and romances I've ever read. Imagine a gay version of Harry Potter where Draco and Harry are in love; throw in some more magic, unexpected traitors and villains, an intense romance, vampires, magic swords, true love and you got the perfect recipe for a brilliant LGBT+ romance. I cannot recommend this gem enough. Like I said, Simon and Baz are everything. 


That would be all for this post. To my fellow members of the LGBT+ community: always stand proud and strong. Our fight doesn't end at equal marriages and adoption. We are still murdered and discriminated constantly just for BEING. May our fight continue, and our pride grow stronger. A huge hug for all of you. 

P.S The "Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard" by Rick Riordan (the genius who gave us Percy Jackson) is a very good LGBT+ trilogy, so go and check it out too. 
 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Libros que leí en el 2022

Tristemente, no pude leer tanto este año como en los anteriores. Fue un año sumamente ocupado y retante, entre nuevas experiencias, desafíos...