Sunday, September 20, 2020

A "Scott Pilgrim" Day... and Stuff

Some time ago, I discovered a movie called "Scott Pilgrim vs the World". Once I saw it, I knew I had found of my most favorites movies of all time, simple as that. I fell in love with everything: the visuals, the special effects, the acting, the drama, the dialogues, the fights, the soundtrack, and the messages. It was absolutely amazing. 

Then, I found out the movie was based on a series of six comics by author Bryan Lee O'Malley. I knew I had to read them, period. It was a need I had. I had never read a comic book before, so I was a little nervous going into them. I didn't know what to expect, and I didn't really know how to read them, as I had only read novels before. I even thought I wasn't going to like them. But oh boy, was I wrong! 


I fell in love deeper than before with the story, by the very first page. It was a little hard at first to get used to that writing style, but I got the hang of it quicker than I thought. Let me tell you that I devoured the comics. They can be read very quickly, and they always left me with a craving for more. I finished the last one two days ago, and so I want to review the comics today. 


For this post, I will divide the topic in two. In the first part, I will write my review of the comics. It will be without spoilers of any kind, just in case you wish to read the comics or if you're currently reading them. The second part will be about the differences between the comics and the movie. There are a LOT, so I chose the ones that stood out to me the most. This latter section will have spoilers, so beware. 

That said, let's get started! 

My Review: 

OH MY GOD!!!

I CAN'T!

The comics are perfect, period. The artwork is amazing, exciting, cute and fun. It captures your attention in a way you can't stop reading, you feel as if you're part of the story. 

The story progresses in a good pace, in such a way that it feels logical, as if it could easily happen in real life. It doesn't take a few weeks to be developed or even a couple of months. On the contrary, it takes its time to establish the characters, the world, and all the story lines in the best way possible. 


The setting for me is everything. The story takes place in Toronto, Canada which I admit is a very refreshing thing. I'm not shaming or anything, but it's so great to read a story that doesn't take place in the United States or Europe. Also, the way the city was drawn in the comics was so beautiful.

Credits to the artist!

The characters are humanized in a way that they feel completely real, and they are so fun to read about. Even the villains (at least some of them) are very humanized, and you can see things from their point of view, as twisted as it may be. Every character has a unique way of speaking, a unique sense of humor, and a unique style. They are fully fleshed out, which is something I love. 


The magic system (to call it someway) in the comics is well explained. As some of you might know, a well explained magic system is everything for me. The powers are explained in such a way that it feels as if they could really exist. Also, a very cool thing about powers in these comics is that everyone treats them as normal. Super powers are part of the characters' everyday lives, and they don't fuss over them too much. It's like "Oh, so this guy can move things with his mind? Cool. Wanna get a cheeseburger?"


I mean... look at Ramona in the back. 
She's bored watching a supernatural fight. 

I believe this story is perfect for teenagers and adults, but mostly for adults in their twenties, like myself. Not only because the majority of the characters are in their twenties, but because the issues presented in the comics reflect the very same issues we twenty-something people have to deal with. Getting jobs, working through college, going on crappy dates, striving for independence, evolving as people, working to develop healthy relationships, maintaining our friendships, coming to terms with our mistakes, learning to accept ourselves... it's a lot! All the while we're still trying to figure out who we are and what we really want in life. The "Scott Pilgrim" comics reflect all of this and more, which is why it's perfect for people in their twenties. Although I'm still planning on reading this when I'm old, so whatever. 


The story includes a lot of lessons, which I will take forever with me. They have made me realized I seriously need to get my shit together already, but that it is perfectly normal that I'm still figuring myself out. The story taught me that it's awesome being the nerdy guy I am, that there are different ways of being cool. That even although I'm an adult already, I don't need to have every single thing figured out by now; I can take my time, and that's fine. I also learned that I shouldn't close myself to new experiences, new people and new love. It's all part of growing up and finding your place in the world. 


But most importantly, the story taught me not to take life so seriously. Of course I have responsibilities, and I must attend them constantly. But that doesn't mean that life is without fun or cool moments. That heartbreaks come and go, but it's part of life, and there's nothing that time and a good pizza won't heal. And also, that I must make peace and forgive myself, and move on with the lessons I acquired in the way; this includes owning the bad things I've done instead of denying them, and make amends. 


If you would like to start reading comic books, I believe the "Scott Pilgrim" ones are a perfect beginning. I don't think you'll regret it if you read them, and maybe you'll find some other lessons I didn't get. 


Now, let's move on to the SPOILERS section. Here I will be talking about some of the differences between the comics and their movie adaptation. If you haven't read the comics, I suggest you leave now. But if you're not planning on reading them, or if you don't really mind spoilers, then go ahead and read. 

Anyways, here's the list. 

Movie vs Comics: 

1- The fight against Gideon is longer and more epic: Gideon is the last of Ramona's evil exes, and so the last one that confronts Scott. The fight against him is in the sixth and final volume of the series, and it covers the vast majority of the book. It's a very intense fight, that takes place in two different realms. Also, opposite to the movie, it's Ramona and Scott who fight against Gideon, not Knives and Scott. Furthermore, in the movie only Scott gets stabbed in the chest, while in the book Ramona is also stabbed (only she doesn't die like him). 


2- Envy Adams is not quite the same: Envy is Scott's evil ex, who's real name is Natalie. She and Julie (the bitch with glasses portrayed by Aubrey Plaza) were roommates in college, and it's there that Scott and Natalie met. Natalie and Scott broke up mutually, although he hurt her more. In the comics, it's Envy Adams who fights against Ramona, not Ramona's ex Roxie. Therefore, it's Envy the one that is defeated by Scott with that weird knee orgasm. She is not as evil as in the comics, and she and Scott depart on fairly good terms. She returns in the final volume being used by Gideon as a singer in his new club, where she is over sexualized by that bastard. She supports Scott's relationship with Ramona, and also she's a redhead, not a blonde. 


3- Knives Chau was also different: On the contrary to the movie, Knives never fought against Gideon and she didn't help defeat him. She was present in the final fight alongside the whole gang: Stephen, Julie, Envy, Wallace, Young Neil, Tamara (Knives' friend) and Stacey (Scott's sister). Knives did fight against Ramona, but much earlier in the comics. Finally, she was well over Scott by the last volume, and she moves away for college, leaving on good terms with Scott. 


4- Kim Pine's storyline changed: Kim is Sex Bob-omb's drummer, and one of Scott's exes. She moves away in the final volumes with her parents for a while, and at her parents', she and Scott find closure to their issues together. There it is revealed how Scott hurt her in the past. She is not present in the final battle against Gideon, but she does sense Scott's death. She comes back to Toronto by the end of the final volume. Also, she once made out with Knives. 


5- Stephen Stills is gay: Stephen plays the guitar in Sex Bomb-omb, and he is constantly in an on-and-off-relationship with Julie. But by the end of the final volume, he reveals he has a boyfriend who's name is Joseph. The latter has appeared since the second volume, and he was the one who helped Stephen develop the band's first album. Joseph doesn't speak much, but he's sweet and caring, and he dislikes most of Stephen's friends (mostly Scott). Stephen came out on volume 5, but he didn't tell Scott because he thought the guy had too much on his plate then. Quick fact: Sex Bob-omb broke up in the end. 


6- The time span is longer in the comics: In the movie, the story takes place in a matter of weeks. Whereas the story in the comics develop over a year. This helps the characters become more fleshed out and the different storylines to develop better. 




7- The powers are better explained: Ramona has control over subspace, a dimension atop of their own that allows her to travel from one physical place to another, and also to travel through people's minds. Todd has psychic vegan powers (I can't). Matthew Patel could summon demons and fire. Gideon could infect people with the Glow, something that trapped people inside their own minds, focusing only on their negative aspects and rendering them useless when facing their inner demons (or something along that line). Scott obviously has super strength, and a super ability to make people want to punch in him in the face. Most of the powers are explained- how the characters acquired and developed them, while some can be presumed are as natural to the characters as breathing. Regardless of their origins, they are all well explained either through drawings or full spoken explanations. 


8- The twins' powers were very different: The Katayanagi twins, Kyle and Ken, were Ramona's fifth and sixth exes, and they appeared in volume 5. In the movie, they fight against Sex Bob-omb summoning dragons with their music, while in the comics, this never happened. The twins kept sending evil robots after Scott to kill him throughout the story, and by the end of the volume, they fought Scott face to face. Their collective powers allow them to increase their strength and agility when fighting together, making them stronger and faster than if they fought individually. 


9- Some characters were left out: There was this actress friend of Kim and Scott, called Lisa Miller. She went to high school with them, and came to cause romantic tension between Scott and Ramona. I can totally see why she was left out of the movie. Then, in Envy's band Clash at Demonhead, the girl drummer Lynette did appear in the movie, but her role was way smaller than in the comics. In the books, Lynette has a robotic arm and she's the one who punches Knives' highlights out of her hair (lol). Todd, Envy's psychic vegan boyfriend, cheats on her with Lynette. 


10- Ramona and Scott have an apartment together: The main couple do live together by some point in the comics. Not only that, but Scott did get a job (finally). He works with Stephen Stills in a restaurant. In the end of the series, Ramona and Scott end up as a couple, and it's implied that the two of them go back to living together; it could be in Ramona's apartment, or in Scott's- his parents got him an apartment after Ramona left him. 


To summarize all of this, and to bring an end to Scott Pilgrim: I love these comics with my life. I will certainly return to them when I'm ready, and meet with these literary friends. If you ever decide to read the series, I hope you enjoy it a lot, even more than me. Believe me, you won't regret it. The movie, although very different at some points, it's still for me a great book adaptation. Lastly, thank you Bryan Lee O'Malley for creating this beautiful world; you're a legend. 



P.S. If you could have a super power, which one would you like to have? 


2 comments:

Libros que leí en el 2022

Tristemente, no pude leer tanto este año como en los anteriores. Fue un año sumamente ocupado y retante, entre nuevas experiencias, desafíos...