Sunday, September 6, 2020

My Top 10 Favorite Fantasy Book Series

Fiction literature has always fascinated me since I was a child. I remember coming home from school with the want and need to read fantastic stories, and if they involved fantasy, even better. Fantasy has forever been my favorite genre, so much that I would often imagine myself living in the wondrous worlds I read about. 

Fantastic Libraries | Quentin blake illustrations, Quentin blake, Reading  art
Matilda Wormwood. 

From "Alice in Wonderland" to "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" I read very piece of fantasy literature that fell in my hands. I soared the skies and fought pirates with Peter Pan; I daydreamed with the Greek myths; and I when got older, I shivered with the vampire Lestat. 

A lot of people have laughed at me for reading so many fantasy books. They have even questioned the things I learn from them (if I learned anything at all that is), why I wasted my time on them, and why I didn't look for other pieces of literature considered to be better. 

Well, I just have one simple thing to say to all of them: screw you :) 

I have nothing against contemporary books or even the classic ones. I believe they offer great and brilliant stories as well. But when I read I prefer to escape from reality for a while. I already have to live in this reality, I don't want to read more about it. I know you might not think like this, but I do. Also, fantasy books feel as if they were my friends, in a way. I lose myself in their pages, befriend and fall in love with the characters, cry at the tragedies, and curse at the injustices. They are my main form of entertainment, especially when I have to take a much needed break from the world and my job. 

In today's post, I will be talking about my top ten favorite fantasy series, the ones that have moved me the deepest. This doesn't mean they are the only ones I love though, they're just the ones at the top of my list.

Without further due, let's begin! 

The first one is and always will be: 

Throne of Glass - Wikipedia
My love for you knows no end. 

The "Throne of Glass" series by queen mother Sarah J. Maas. This series has everything I love: a strong female protagonist, political intrigue, a battle to save the world from impending doom, a well explained magic system, complex characters, terrifying villains, and the right amount of drama and sexy scenes (quite graphic some of them). I started reading these books when I was finishing college, and I couldn't be more grateful for the experience. They helped me in ways I cannot even begin to describe, and reading about Aelin Galathynius boosted my self-confidence in an incredible manner. Thank you Sarah for this everlasting gift. 

The second book series I want to mention is: 

His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman: 9780307957832 |  PenguinRandomHouse.com: Books
Can you be anymore perfect? 

"His Dark Materials" by Philip Pullman has been called by many as being atheism for kids, and well... they're not exactly wrong. The reasons for this are more complicated than just not believing in a divinity, but I won't go further into such reasons or I would be spoiling the plot. "His Dark Materials" has also been called the anti-Narnia, and they are quite right in that aspect too. The books expanded my knowledge on topics such as dark matter, metaphysics, church history, atheism and psychology. They are fare more complex than people give them credit for; they are more than just a fantasy story. There is currently an HBO adaptation of the books, and it's SO GOOD. Here's the link to the series trailer: His Dark Materials season 1 trailer

Now, let's go for the third series: 

The School for Good and Evil: The Complete 6-Book Collection by Soman  Chainani | NOOK Book (eBook) | Barnes & Noble®
I AM OBSESSED. 

"The School for Good and Evil" series by Soman Chainani is mainly intended for middle grade, but as a currently 25 year old myself, I enjoyed them immensely. I still have to finish the fifth book and then read the sixth, but still. This series is so rich in imagination, magic and wonder that it's impossible not to consider it one of my favorites. It makes you reconsider your previous perspectives on good and evil, and the way you look at fairy tales. Each book is highly addictive, and it captures the reader's attention from the very first start. The action is non-stopping and the magic system is beautiful, but the true heart of this series is the characters; all of them are so complex and even relatable at times, you can't help but love them. Here's a link to see the trailers for the books: School for Good and Evil trailers. These trailers were the ones that convinced me to read them, and I do not regret it. 

The fourth favorite book series is: 

Percy Jackson and the Olympians Series
The movie is a piece of trash. 

I used to like Greek mythology. But these books made me fall in love with it. Rick Riordan's first book series "Percy Jackson and the Olympians" captured the imagination of the whole world in the most spectacular way possible. I read this series in my senior year of high school, and I still reread from time to time. They help you understand the Greek myths in a better and more exciting way, making you a part of the stories. The characters are AMAZING, and through them you can see a lot of diversity represented in respectful and beautiful ways. Percy Jackson is and always will be one of my sweetest memories of my teenage years. And please, don't waste your time on that crappy movie adaptation. Read the books instead!

Let's go for the fifth book series: 

The Magicians Trilogy by Lev Grossman | The Reader's Room
A lot of people compare this to Harry Potter. 
They couldn't be more wrong. 

Lev Grossman really outdid himself with "The Magicians" trilogy. Imagine if magic was real in our world. What would you do if you could control it? Please don't bother saying you would only do selfless things, when we both know that's not the case. In this world, who can control magic? How do they control it? Where does magic come from? What are the costs for having this kind of power? The books are a very dark take on fantasy, dealing with serious themes such as alcoholism, rape, murder, nihilism, addiction, depression, and others. Believe me when I tell you it's a journey you will not regret. It also presents a sort-of-parody of Narnia at one point, and that is always highly appreciated. 

Let's move on now to the sixth series: 

Victoria/V.E. Schwab on Twitter: "SO excited to announce that the entire  SHADES OF MAGIC series will be coming out in Portugal, Turkey, and Italy!… "
BABIES! 

V. E. Schwab is for me one of the most brilliant writers of modern times. Her story telling is masterful, her characters are superb, her worlds are outstanding and her magic system is so well explained! I adore magic systems that are not only done but explained well, and the one in this trilogy brings pure pleasure when you read about it. The "Shades of Magic" trilogy is so beautifully dark you can't help but love it. Magic has real consequences here, often terrible and without remedy, which I personally like a lot. The villains, especially a certain pair of twins, are especially vicious and the heroes are very flawed people. In summary: these books are the definition of perfection. 

The seventh spot for my favorite fantasy series goes to: 

Shadowhunters Chronicles: The Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare |  Shopee Philippines
These are only the first six books. 
They're actually more than thirteen and counting. 

"The Shadowhunters Chronicles" by Cassandra Clare. I know these books can be quite intimidating because they are so many. But they hold a very special place in my heart. The books are mainly urban fantasy, dealing with creatures such as the nephilim, werewolves, warlocks, vampires, angels, faeries and demons. They are extremely exciting, full of adventure, excellent romance, darkness, heartbreak, a good magic system, and a beautifully represented diversity. Someday, when the pandemic is over, I will get a tattoo of these books- just you wait. 

Continuing with the list is my number eight: 

Dorothy Must Die series by Danielle Paige | Bullet journal inspiration,  Paige danielle, Dorothy
I don't believe these books are
appreciated enough.

Danielle Paige is one brilliant author; in the "Dorothy Must Die" series, she took the idea of Oz and transformed it in ways I never thought possible. I've never felt more at home reading a book than with these. The descriptions are breathtaking, and they make you feel as if you were really there in Oz. Classic characters such as Dorothy Gale and Glinda the Good are twisted in ways that leave them unrecognizable. The new heroine named Amy Gumm really takes the story and the world by storm, and her journey finished changing Oz forever. These books got me through the hardest days in my first year of teaching, for which I will love them forever. I cannot wait to go visit them again. And by the way, yes... the magic system here is so well done!!! 

Almost finishing, let's take the ninth spot: 

Disney Twisted Tales: help? | Disney Amino
These are only a few of them. 

Another unappreciated series, the "Disney Twisted Tales". The books are written by various authors, and you don't have to read them in any specific order, as their plots are individual. Every book presents a "what if..." concept, taking key moments or elements from the classic movies and twisting them, thus exploring the results of these changes. A lot of people have bashed them continuously for numerous reasons, from the writing style of some of them, to the characters. But I love them nonetheless. No, they're not perfect, and yet they still have a certain charm to them. The princesses and other female characters are given more independence and political power; the love stories are better developed; the plots tend to be darker than their Disney counterparts (which I love); and of course the covers are a delight. 

And now, last but not least: 

Recovering Potter Addict: Series Review: The Heroes of Olympus by Rick  Riordan
YES BABIES!

Rick Riordan continued Percy's journeys and his friends' in "The Heroes of Olympus", the five part sequel to the Olympians series. These books take the demigods into new, more dangerous adventures. More complex ideas of mythology are explored, including Roman mythology. Fantastic new characters are introduced, taking this world into darker and heartbreaking places. "The Heroes of Olympus" is not as good as its predecessor, in my opinion, but it's still an amazing series. Also, thank you Rick Riordan for creating such a strong female character in Reyna, a Puerto Rican demigod. My Puerto Rican culture was so beautifully represented through her, and that holds a lot of value for me. 

That would be the end for today's post. Thank you so much for reading, as usual, and I'll see you guys next week. Bye! 

P.S. The Percy Jackson movies are trash. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Libros que leí en el 2022

Tristemente, no pude leer tanto este año como en los anteriores. Fue un año sumamente ocupado y retante, entre nuevas experiencias, desafíos...